Free Cloth Diaper Patterns and Sewing Guides
There are many free cloth diaper patterns available for download. These are useful as they will tell you which fabrics you will need and give some instructions on how to sew your diapers. All fabrics recommended under each cloth diaper type can be purchased from our online store www.minimatters.co.za
We recommend using cotton fleece, bamboo terry, or hemp fleece for fitted diapers. You can also use a microfleece layer on the inside if you prefer a stay dry inner.
- Fitted sewing tutorial http://mayna.livejournal.com/198548.html
Pocket diapers and inserts
Pocket diapers require a waterproof outer fabric. Use TPU or PUL for the outer layer. Inner layers are traditionally made from a stay-dry fabric like microfleece or suedecloth, but you can also use cotton fleece for the inner lining. Inserts can be made from bamboo terry, hemp fleece or cotton fleece.
- Side snapping pocket http://themafiatutu.blogspot.co.za/2010/04/free-cloth-diaper-pattern.html
- Hook and loop closure pocket http://fraldamalda.blogspot.co.za/
- Diaper inserts http://diaperwrecker.com/2015/03/make-your-own-diaper-doublers/
Waterproof diaper covers are made using PUL or TPU fabric. The edges can be bound with fold-over elastic. Water resistant covers are more breathable and a great solution for nighttime to be worn over flats and fitteds. Water resistant covers can be made from thick polar fleece or softshell fleece.
- PUL waterproof cover with FOE https://crazywonderfullife.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/diaper-cover-with-gussets-tutorial/
- Fleece or Softshell covers with snap or hook and loop closure http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.co.za/2007/10/httpwww.html
No pattern is needed for making flats. Newborn flats are around 50cmx50cm and standard size flats are around 70cmx70cm. You can use hemp jersey to make ultra trim flats. For very absorbent flats, bamboo terry is a great choice.
Newborn fitteds can be made from bamboo terry, hemp fleece or cotton fleece. You can also use microfleece to line the inside of the diaper. This will keep baby’s bum dry and is super soft against the skin. Add a PUL or TPU layer outside and you have a newborn all-in-one diaper.
- Newborn fitted. Two patterns for small and larger newborn babies. http://www.darlingdiapers.com/Darling%20Diapers%20Free%20Newborn%20Fitted%20Pattern2009.pdf
Extra notions needed
You will also need some good quality braided elastic (we prefer 8mm width), diaper closure of your choice (we offer KAM snaps and diaper quality hook and loop), good quality polyester sewing thread and ballpoint machine needles. If you want to use snaps, you will also need KAM pliers for attaching the snaps.
Optional extras are wonder clips, rotary cutter and cutting board, and tailors pens for marking your fabrics as you sew.
And finally, have a look at our handy guide for sewing with PUL and TPU fabrics