Free Cloth Diaper Patterns and Sewing Guides
There are many free cloth nappy patterns available for download. This is a good place to start if you would like to try your hand at making cloth nappies with minimal upfront costs. We also offer two paid PDF patterns (Boegoe Bugz Patterns), which are more comprehensive and provide you with step by step instructions and fabric recommendations if you need more guidance. All fabrics recommended under each cloth nappy type can be purchased from our online store.
- Fitted sewing tutorial http://mayna.livejournal.com/198548.html
Pocket Nappies and Inserts
Pocket Nappies require a waterproof outer fabric. Use PUL or Waterproof Softshell for the outer layer. Inner layers are traditionally made from a stay-dry fabric like Microfleece or Suedecloth, but Inserts can be made from Bamboo Fleece or Cotton Fleece.
- Side snapping pocket http://themafiatutu.blogspot.co.za/2010/04/free-cloth-diaper-pattern.html
- Hook and loop closure pocket http://fraldamalda.blogspot.co.za/
Waterproof covers are made using PUL or Waterproof Softshell fabric. The edges can be bound with fold-over elastic. Water resistant covers are more breathable (but not quite as bombproof as waterproof covers) and a great solution for nighttime to be worn over flats and fitteds. Water resistant covers can be made from thick polar fleece which is available at all mainstream fabric stores.
- PUL waterproof cover with FOE https://crazywonderfullife.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/diaper-cover-with-gussets-tutorial/
- Fleece or Softshell covers with snap or hook and loop closure http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.co.za/2007/10/httpwww.html
No pattern is needed for making flats. Newborn flats are around 50cmx50cm and OSFM size flats are around 70cmx70cm. You can use Hemp Jersey or Hemp/Bamboo jersey to make ultra trim flats. Be sure to wash your fabric before cutting to allow for the shrinkage.
- Newborn fitted. Two patterns for small and larger newborn babies. http://www.darlingdiapers.com/Darling%20Diapers%20Free%20Newborn%20Fitted%20Pattern2009.pdf
Extra notions needed
You will also need some good quality braided elastic (we prefer 8mm width), nappy closure of your choice (we offer KAM snaps and diaper quality hook and loop), good quality polyester sewing thread and ballpoint machine needles. If you want to use snaps, you will also need KAM pliers for attaching the snaps.
And finally, have a look at our handy guide for sewing with waterproof PUL fabrics.